This is a video-invitation from the project "Miracle in the Heart" to attend a roundtable discussion in the maternity hospital No.5 in Kiev (Ukraine) on the topic "Homebirth in the Maternity Hospital" on September 7, 2017.
The video touches upon the paradigm of attitude towards childbirth and woman in childbirth in Ukraine, a new primary health.
The expert Svetlana Demianova-Ponomarenko (Ukraine), ProEstRo.com organizer, mother of 2 (1 born at home), the expert on maternity art, recommends doctors working in a maternity hospital learn from to deliver a natural birth and how to do it:
- Is it possible to organize a home birth in a maternity hospital? Is it real?
- Who should the doctors working in a maternity hospital learn from to deliver a natural birth and how to do it?
- What are the basic needs of women in childbirth, which are still not fully understood and are underestimated?
- 2 most important things to know for doctors to deliver a family birth in a hospital.
- The freedom to choose the way you act during contractions and to choose your poses - it is not a privilege in a maternity hospital but it is your right!
- The delayed umbilical cord clamping, often solemn – by father’s hands – has its pitfalls!
- The possibility to use a pool in a maternity hospital - some pitfalls again! :)
- The possibility to discharge the same day after a childbirth and to take the placenta from a maternity hospital are inalienable rights of a new mother!
- Whom does a woman need to stay with her in childbirth and afterwards in a maternity hospital?
- Some statistics and much faith in a Woman and her Baby!
Hilda Garst (Italy), a grassroot activist and organiser of some conferences with Dr Michel Odent, gave us her feedback ("the words that my oxytocin system ejected immediately after seeing your video"):
"This video is very very strong! It wears so so crucial recommendations!
The birth- and breastfeeding language that has so enormously rooted in the last decades, is the language of "helping-guiding-supporting" the mother.
As dr Odent scientificates since so long and I also so often experienced in my grassroot activism with pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, this language does nòt reflect the physiological needs of the mother and baby and can actually delày the return to physiological births and breastfeedings with the best health-outcomes on the short and long term!
And in this powerful video, you made exactly that shift, you did that crucial thing: you talked "physiologese"...
You used words in alignment with the physiological perspective of the basic needs of the mother and baby during birth and postpartum! You frequently repeated the concept "protection of the physiological needs from weakening interferences" instead of using the so abused terms of "helping-supporting-sustaining the mother" as if she and her baby are the weak part of the birthing-breastfeeding process...
What you did in this video is a very very important shift in word-use, like dr Odent invites humanity to do for so many decades and like Ruth Erhardt has managed to do in such an incredibly clear way in her crucial booklet "the basic needs of a woman in labour"...
These clear and straightforward requests and recommendations you made to Kyiv Maternity Hospital should become the guiding principle of all the hospitals, of all the health surveys and health institutions of the 5 continents, of all the universities, scientific societies, schools and education organisms etc, of the whole human community... At a global level, we would become able in a short time, to change our cultural conditioning and thus our approaches around birth, breastfeeding, motherhood, basic needs of the human species in interconnection with the rest of the Earth-ecosystem...
As a mother and grassroot activist I think that you "birthed" an incredibly professional, science-updated, fruitful, awarenessizing video, that will surely give an enormous contribution to the rediscovery and "rephysiologization" and responsible demedicalization of human birth and breastfeeding and that will THUS AUTOMATICALLY give its unmeasurable contribution to the "resustainablization of human life and evolution inside the Mother Earth-Universe continuum!
You and your team "birthed" another "miracle in the heart", Svetlana! GRAZIE MILLE!"
Some fragments of this video can be watched if you are interested in such topics as:
Is it real to organize a home birth in a maternity hospital?
Whom should the doctors learn from to deliver a natural birth?
What are the basic needs of women in childbirth?
2 most important things to deliver a family birth in a hospital
It is your right to choose poses during contraction
The delayed umbilical cord clamping has its pitfalls!
The possibility to use a pool in a maternity hospital
You may to discharge in a birth day and take the placenta home
Whom does a woman need to stay with her in childbirth and after it?