The most world-renowned doula, International Doula Trainer, Filmmaker (‘Orgasmic Birth: the Bestkept Secret’), Author Debra Pascali-Bonaro (USA) gives an interview on ‘The Doulas Role in Facilitating Informed Collaborative Decision Making in Any Settling’. Debra bases on her birth attending experience on 5 continents for over 30 years.
In the video-interview Debra answers to the following questions:
- Do you support Dr. Michel Odent’s message that to have gentle, uncomplicated and not prolonged birth, a woman in birth shouldn’t talk and talk with others, especially with rational language? Verbal speech activates neocortex of a woman in birth and directly influences the birth.
- How do you behave and what do you teach attendants in your seminar and online classes not to switch on the woman’s neocortex as less as possible in birth?
- Did you have in your practice such cases if a midwife suggests transferring to a hospital from homebirth but a woman in labour rejects? How do you mediate as a doula in such a case?
- Did you have such cases in you practice when a woman in labour asked you and/or a midwife to keep your distance until she call you herself: don’t touch her, don’t speak with her, don’t disturb her, only to observe being like a shadow. I’m talking this because when we run our Ukrainian Survey among mothers who gave birth in maternity hospitals, some of mothers expressed such a wish for doctors and midwives!
- How do you speak as a doula with a pregnant woman before the labour concerning the possible change of birth settling? Do you prepare her feminine power in any settling?
- What do you speak about this within your Pleasurable Birth Essentials online class?
- What is your role in medicaid reimbursement for doulas in NJ?
Thank you so much, dear Debra and all birthkeepers who protect a woman in labour in ‘the magic birth bubble’!